Shawn Higashi, BSc, DDS, FRCD(C), Dip. ABOMS
Dr. Higashi is a Board Certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon and a Fellow in the Royal College of Dentists of Canada (FRCD). Dr. Higashi received his BSc and DDS degrees (with distinction) from the University of Alberta. He then completed a Hospital Dentistry Residency program (GPR) at the University of British Columbia Health Sciences Centre and Vancouver General Hospitals.
Dr. Higashi practiced general dentistry in NE Calgary prior to returning to complete his residency and specialty training in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Oklahoma. He has obtained Diplomate status with the American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
He then spent several years as an attending staff surgeon providing Head and Neck Trauma care at the Thunder Bay Health Sciences Centre Hospital in Northern Ontario prior to returning home to Calgary to set up his Surgical & Anesthesia Facility.
Dr. Higashi’s Surgical Centre is a Non-Hospital General Anesthesia Surgical Facility (NHSF) fully accredited and inspected by the College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Alberta Dental Association & College.
In addition to wisdom teeth removal, dental extractions and jaw reconstruction, Dr. Higashi performs bone grafting and implant placement under intravenous sedation and general anesthesia.
He is on staff and an attending surgeon at all five of the Calgary Zone Hospitals, the University of Calgary and teaches residents at the Foothills Medical Centre.
Dr. Higashi’s background and training includes:
- BSc and DDS (with distinction) degrees from the University of Alberta
- General Practice Residency at the University of British Columbia & Vancouver General Hospital
- Practiced general dentistry for several years in Northeast Calgary
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgical training at the Montefiore Hospital / Albert Einstein College of Medicine (New York) and the University of Oklahoma
- Trauma and orthognathic surgery at the Thunder Bay Regional Level Trauma Hospital in Ontario.
- Dr. Higashi is Board Certified in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery in Canada – FRCD (C)
- Dr. Higashi is Board Certified in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery in the United States (Diplomate of the ABOMS)
- Fellow – American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- Diplomate – National Dental Board of Anesthesiology
- ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
- PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support)
- ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support)